How To Get an Indian Visa in Kathmandu

Getting a visa for India in Kathmandu takes a fair bit of time (almost a week), and you must complete part of the process online beforehand. But the good news is the process is relatively streamlined and you won’t be waiting long at the visa service centre. Here’s what you need to know:

What you’ll need:

Passport
Photocopy of passport
Photocopy of your Nepalese visa.
Size 2″x 2″ photo
Fee in Nepalese rupees
Completed and printed e-visa form (available here)

Where to go:

The Indian Visa Service Centre, House No.296, Kapurdhara Marg, Kathmandu.
This is a separate building to the Indian Embassy (though they are near each other).

The Indian Visa Service Centre

The Indian Visa Service Centre

What to do:

Before going to the embassy, you must complete the online visa application, at
Once you have completed the form, print it and bring it to the Indian visa service. Enter through the yellow gate, and a security guard will open it and search your bag. Take a number and wait to be called (we only waited two minutes, though this was off-season).

Once your number is called, go to the desk and give your printed application, passport, passport photocopy, Nepalese visa photocopy, and photo. The photo must be sized 2″ x 2″, and these are available at one of two shops next to the visa service.

Once your application has been received, go to the next counter and pay the fee. This is paid in Nepalese rupees, and the amount varies by country. As an Irish citizen, I was charged NPR 4,900, and, as a UK citizen, my partner, Adam, was charged NPR 14,450 (I tried to keep the gloating to a minimum).

You will be given a receipt and told when to come back. Your visa will take five working days to process (there is no express service), during which time you keep your passport. After your visa has been processed, you must return and hand in your passport. You will be given back your receipt, with a time to collect your passport, complete with visa, the following afternoon.

Things to note:

You can apply for a one-month, three-month, or six-month visa, with single, double, or multiple entries. If you select one month, the visa will start from the date of application, NOT the date of entry into India.

Hopefully this post has covered everything you need to know about applying for an Indian visa in Kathmandu. If you’ve any questions, feel free to ask via the comments!

26 comments on “How To Get an Indian Visa in Kathmandu”

1. Lisandro says:

Hi !!
    I would like to know for how many months and entries they authorized your visa ???
    Six months or three months ???
    Thanks
    Xx

1. ailishcasey says:

I applied for a one month visa, though they also issue three and six month visas (single, double or multiple entries). Whichever one you get, the validity starts from when you get the visa, not from when you enter!
      Have fun in India!
      Ailish

1. kriss says:

hi, thanks so much for the article, it helped us a ton. We were told today that its not possible to get six month visa in the centre, just the one and three month (which we need anyway,i just wanted to let people know here).

1. ailish_kc@hotmail.com says:

Hi Kriss,

Glad you found the article useful. And thanks for the info. Enjoy your time in Nepal and India, Ailish 🙂

2. Ran says:

Hello Ailish! This is very helpful. 🙂 Did the service center ask for flight tickets or hotel bookings?

1. ailishcasey says:

No, they didn’t ask for either of these. We were taking a bus and we hadn’t got the tickets yet. Also we were staying at someone’s home, and then at a monastery, so we didn’t have any bookings. We needed to give an address for where we were staying, but not a booking. Enjoy your trip to India!

1. Ran says:

I see, thanks for the reply. It’s always fun in India, I’ve been there twice but only on visa-on-arrival. I plan to go June 2016 (by voa for 30 days) then fly to nepal to stay for 2 months or so before I go back (hopefully with a 6 month visa this time). Do you think having a VOA stamp before would affect my application?

1. ailishcasey says:

I’m not sure what the rules are for India specifically, but I don’t think having a previous visa should affect your chances of getting a second one. Though are you sure it wouldn’t be easier to get a voa and then extend it once you’re in the country? (again, I don’t know what the rules are, it’s just a thought!)

2. ailishcasey says:

Also, are you positive that you can get a visa on arrival? I thought it wasn’t possible

3. Richard says:

I am UK cirizen. Do you know if the fee for three months is the same as one month (NPR 14,450)?

1. ailish_kc@hotmail.com says:

The fee was more for a three month visa than for a one month, but I’m afraid I can’t remember how much! The best thing would be to contact the visa service directly at +977-1-4410900, 4414990,4411699, or email them at visa.india@nsbl.com.np

Have a good trip!

4. Michael says:

Thank you for the info. I am traveling with my wife and three small children. Can I apply for all of them by myself or do they need to come with me?

1. ailish_kc@hotmail.com says:

It should be ok for you to apply for all of them as long as you have their passports, forms and photos. I’ve had other people apply for visas on my behalf and it’s been fine as long as they have all of my signed forms etc. But I really can’t speak for this particular embassy, and it’s probably best for you to contact them directly.

Glad you found the post useful. Enjoy your trip to India!

2. ailish_kc@hotmail.com says:

Here are the contact details for the embassy: phone +977-1-4410900, 4414990,4411699 and email visa.india@nsbl.com.np

5. Augustus says:

I relish, result in I discovered exactly what I used to be having a
    look for. You have ended mmy 4 day long hunt! God Bless you man. Have a great day.
    Bye

6. Bumble Bee says:

Hi dear, thank you so much for this post! Have u heard of anyone getting rejected for the 6 months visa application? There have been rumors circulating around India…

1. ailish_kc@hotmail.com says:

Hi, no I haven’t heard of anyone having their application rejected, but I don’t know for sure. Good luck with the application, I’ll keep my fingers crossed for you! Ailish

2. Thanks !! you need to pay a little more for this but its just try

3. Zatara says:

Where you able to get your 6 month visa here? I read they only did 3 month visa’s? Thank you

1. Hi Zatara, Thanks with special connection can have six month but not guarantee i am travel agents and did few recently.

contact: holylandadvtours@gmail.com
        regds
        Hari

7. and says:

voa evisa only for airports not valid land travel

1,3,6 months all same price actually its now meant to be 6-12 month visa at same cost for uk anyway but it appears 12 will only be available in your home country;

having to fork out all tl hat cash for a 1 month visa for your boyfriend is a bummer
    plus he could have got the 1 month e visa flew from nepal to india for same cost or cheaper

the indian visa process is never straight forward as you can see by the flood of questions

currently no more visas in thailand or malaysia

cambodia vietnam indonesia but maybe only 3 month

sri lanka is still issuing too.

8. kuyaraadakoo says:

Hi Ailish! One question: as I don’t want to stay in Kathmandu over a week just waiting for my visa would it be ok to apply but then go to pick it up later than the date they tell you to come?

1. ailish_kc@hotmail.com says:

That should be ok, but bear in mind you won’t have your passport that week, so it might be tricky to book bus tickets and check in to hostels without it.

9. Thank you for sharing ‘what to do’ very straightforwardly, Ailish!
    Good to know ahead of time I’ll need Nepalese rupees to pay with.
    Also that the passport photo must be sized 2″ x 2″.
    Nailing down the small details will smooth the proceedings out, and lead to an enjoyable stay:)

10. Inge Kuijper says:

Hello Ailish! Thank you.. I have 2 more questions: Is the picture uploaded on your online form the same as the picture you tagged onto it? So you first had the photo taken, then printed the form, and tagged the photo onto it? I already uploaded a photo that I am worried is too small – can it be different? Also, is it possible to pick up the paperwork on a later date, as I’d like to submit my application and pick it up after my 10 day Vipasana? 🙂

1. ailish_kc@hotmail.com says:

I’m sorry, I don’t know if the photo can be different, you’d have to check with the embassy. I think you can pick it up on a later date, though bear in mind you’ll be without your passport in the meantime, and travel can be tricky as most hotels ask to see your passport. Good luck!